Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Wynand Havenga gets knocked out in 3rd round in World Championships


DARREN WEBSTER 4-2 WYNAND HAVENGA (3-1, 3-0, 2-3, 2-3, 3-0, 3-1)
DARREN WEBSTER romped into the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship quarter-finals with a 4-2 win over South African Wynand Havenga. The Norwich thrower had only ever appeared twice on television before this tournament, but is now facing the prospect of a clash with Phil Taylor or Chris Mason at the last eight stage and a record pay-day of £12,500. The 38-year-old produced some superb darts in taking six of the first seven legs for a two-set lead. His second set, in particular, was superb, following a 13-darter with two 112 finishes to average 105 for the three legs. Webster also led 2-0 in set three before Havenga took out 95 to respond and the next two legs to pull back the game to 2-1. He then levelled matters with a 13-darter, which included his third 180 of the match, in the final leg of the fourth set. Webster took three legs in a row to win the fifth set without reply and move to within one of the match, before a 14-darter from Havenga gave him the lead in the next. The Emperors Palace South African Masters champion was then punished for missed doubles in the second set, before a 14-darter from Webster put him 2-1 up. Havenga then paid the ultimate price for three missed darts to stay in the contest, with Webster finally landing the killer blow with double ten on his final dart to seal victory. "It's brilliant," said Webster. "I've always believed I could do this but it's about being used to the televised stage. "I can go up about ten or fifteen points in my average and I will need to in the quarter-finals. I will need to play like I did in the second set throughout! "I started lovely and had to try and keep my composure. At 2-0 in the third set I thought I was there and suddenly my hands started sweating. "Wynand got into his game then and wasn't missing much but I knew if I could get to the doubles I would take them." Havenga overcame Steve Maish and Peter Manley in his Circus Tavern debut, and he said: "It's been a great experience for me and I'll be back. "I'll be trying to qualify again next year and this has given me lots of confidence."

No comments: